Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Community-Engaged Learning: one of the best decisions that I’ve ever made

by Devaughn Harris


If I could give you one piece of advice when it comes to choosing whether you’d want to take a community-engaged learning course or not, I’d just say do it. It’s not that simple, of course, because you’d have questions that many professors who’ve taught said courses or administrators familiar with the program can answer; what happens when you have questions for students who have already been introduced to the community-engaged learning environment though? Yea, that’s where I come in. 

Around mid-January, in other words, the beginning of the spring semester at Manhattan College, I was a history major ready to learn everything there is to learn about history. Prior to this semester, during the registration period, I was told that all history majors are required to take an introductory course at some point throughout their time in the program labeled “History 100: (subtitle dependent on professor)”, and this course was meant to teach students in the program how to use history in the world around us, as opposed to just memorizing information from a book. I found out that the History 100 course planned for the 2019 spring semester was a “community-engaged learning” course. What the hell is that? I thought as I sat in my advisor’s office. After a thorough explanation, I realized that a community-engaged learning course was not your typical college, lecture-style class, and my shock immediately turned into excitement. 

After listening to my advisor’s explanation of the course that I would be taking, my mind immediately conjured a scenario in which I was sitting in a room with my classmates, our brains dreading the amount of stress we were about to put them through. Then, our professor walks in, and it’s Robin Williams. He starts telling us that textbook learning is nonsense, we are all free thinkers, and at a point we even start standing on desks shouting, “O, Captain, my Captain!” Yes, if you haven’t figured it out by now, I love Dead Poets Society. So, to say the least, I was excited to do some unconventional, out-of-classroom learning, and I thought this class was going to be my chance to experience that. That would’ve been dope, but reality wasn’t exactly compliant with my expectations. 

Our class was called “Slavery in the Bronx,” and our goal as a class was to put together a presentation showing people historical evidence that slavery existed, and was pretty prominent, in the northern region of America. Specifically, we were focused on creating a presentation that we planned to present to the community of Hunts Point in the Bronx at the end of the semester, and a key part of accomplishing that goal was using the surrounding Bronx community as our classroom just as much, if not more, as our classroom on campus. 

Skipping towards the middle of the semester where we passed the contextual phase; we established our goal and now we had to map out the logistics of working towards that goal. Our professor did most of the logistical work, which included setting up meetings with professionals in the field we were studying, planning field trips, and even choosing the venue for our final presentation. We were split up into various groups and given different responsibilities. There were four groups in total; Genealogy, Parks/Communications, Community Outreach/PR, and Maps. I was part of the map group along with two other students. In every group, there was a recurring theme: collaboration. Not only did I have to work together with the individuals in my group, but I also had to work with other groups sometimes because one group may have information that helped my group complete whatever task we were working on at the time. No matter how much of a solo worker you think you are, in community engagement courses you will have to work with others for the sake of completing a task and reaching your class’ end goal in a timely manner.

If you’re a freshman at Manhattan College and you’re not that good at socializing (like me), community-engagement classes are the perfect way to make friends, or at least socialize under the guise of ‘getting work done.’ The key in my class was collaboration. If we didn’t work together as a class, there was absolutely no way our presentation could’ve come out the way it did. The people that I met in History 100 have inspired me in many ways to become more socially aware, more empathetic towards others and more passionate about whatever I study. My professor was a part of that inspiration too. He wasn’t exactly Robin Williams, but from the beginning, he kept it real with us. He told us that either our final presentation would be a success or a failure. Plain and simple. He told us that sometimes life just happens, you make plans and they don’t come to fruition the way you thought they would, but that doesn’t take away from the experience. What do they say? It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey? Whatever it is, it’s true. Regardless of whether our project was successful or not, I still finished the semester with more friendships than I did at the beginning, more knowledge than I did at the beginning, and a better view of unorthodox learning. 

The actual engagement with the surrounding community of the Bronx was a vital component as well! From meeting with professors from other universities, to visiting St. Ignatius Loyola and speaking with, arguably, the most socially aware middle schoolers I’ll probably ever meet, I was able to take a piece from every encounter we made during the semester and form one mosaic of everything that made my experience with community-engaged learning one that I’ll never forget.

My advice to you, reader, is that you understand that the words community engagement means much more than you might think. When you take a community-engaged learning course, you’re focused on being more in tune with the community, yes, but you’re also forming a community yourself, whether you realize it or not. There are people you will meet throughout the semester that will teach you things that you simply can’t learn by sitting in a classroom taking notes, and you’ll create friendships that’ll hopefully last for a lifetime. So, if you’re on the fence like I was, or nervous about taking a community-engaged learning course at Manhattan, just do it. It’s the best way to merge community and learning, and it's a great way to take a break from the routine of the traditional classroom setting. 


P.S. - If you were wondering how our presentation turned out and would like to watch it, you can see it on Manhattan College’s Facebook page.

Devaughn Harris is a sophomore majoring in philosophy and minoring in history. He's also a creative: a writer, a thinker, a doer.

No comments:

Post a Comment